Tuesday, February 16, 2010

BIG L

One of my biggest heroes in music is 11 years dead. If I live to be 100 I will never be as good as him.

I don't know if these little kids listening to Lil Wayne or Drake for the first time these days are going through the same thing now but when I first heard Big L, I used to stay up til 4a.m listening to Westwood and I remember the first time he played "Put It On" I nearly broke the rewind button on the tape to hear it again.

Big L was shot and killed in a case of mistaken identity in Harlem on Feb 15th 1999
and one of the things I always think about at this time is the fact that he was just about to sign with Roc-A-Fella when he passed away which would have meant him in the studio with some early Just Blaze and Kanye West production...the mind boggles when you think about how he would have demolished some of those beats.






Greatest of all time is a term bandied about too often these days but when made in reference to him it's hard to argue.

No comments: